Re: st: how to index regressions inside a foreach loop in order to avoid writing over the estimates

From   hind lazrak <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how to index regressions inside a foreach loop in order to avoid writing over the estimates
Date   Fri, 14 Oct 2011 02:19:25 -0700

Dear Nick

Thank you for your relevant comments. I should always be careful in
how I word my approach ( perhaps a mix of language barrier and theory
confusion...)
I'd like to address a few points that you raised
#1: The variables that I would like to control for are indeed theory
guided for the first two  (applying physical principles) and the last
one
is more a "common sense" one. I have not examined these variables in
any statistical way. I will be offering them in the regression in
spite of any significance test results. I like to think of my approach
of one that would be on the side of those who do not let the p-values
decide for their users.

#2: I agree and this is a struggle that I will have to face. Reading
on correction of multiple testing is a step that I will take (I
vaguely know of Bonferroni correction). Meanwhile I am curious  to see
what this exploratory analysis is showing even without correction.

#4 : When I get to the writing phase, this is something that I need to
keep in mind: striking the right balance between too much explanations
and results and helping the reader follow the steps.

As for the 3rd comment, I really don't know what to say. I agree, the
frequentist approach is one of what may seem arbitrary. The way I see
it is what type of error am I most likely to accept. Here we are
examining exposure metrics. I'd rather say that the metric is not
measuring what the true exposure is (type I error) and having a more
conservative estimates when the time for an epidemiological study
comes - but this is not the focus of this study for which I was asking
for help on the coding part.

Best,
Hind