AW: st: Catplot (ssc) labelsize in scheme? Stata 11

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: Catplot (ssc) labelsize in scheme? Stata 11
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:42:54 +0200

Nick,

Yes, I can reproduce the problem that the gsize label value (in a scheme) is ignored with graph hbar as well. I will contact Stata Tech Support....

Best regards,

Marc

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2011 09:59
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: Catplot (ssc) labelsize in scheme? Stata 11

This is I think a question for StataCorp because, as I said earlier,
-catplot- does nothing to the labels.

Exactly how schemes work is for StataCorp, but the principle is that schemes set defaults, yet commands can override them. That applies to built-in commands too.

Clearly you can

1. Set an option in -catplot-:

sysuse auto
catplot rep78
catplot rep78, var1opts(label(labsize(large)))

2. Clone -catplot- and set your own default.

3. Use -graph hbar- directly

bysort rep78 : gen frequency = _N
by rep78 : gen tag = _n == 1
graph hbar (asis) frequency if tag, over(rep78, label(labsize(large)))

4. Write your own alternative.

Nick

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Kaulisch, Marc <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can change the value of gsize label from vsmall or huge, but everytime the labsize in the graph medsmall. My scheme is a modification of s2color.
>
> Changing labsize manually under var2opts works perfectly...
>
> My code uses the following options:
> percent stack asyvars scheme l1title legend and ytitle I cannot see
> why these would intervene into the scheme...
>
> Puzzled...

Nick Cox

> Find
>
> scheme-s2color.scheme
>
> and the line
>
> gsize label medsmall
>
> Nick
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> You are correct in implying that -catplot- just lets -graph hbar |
>> bar
>> | dot- choose defaults for labelsize.
>>
>> Similarly, there is no machinery in -catplot- affecting bar width. In
>> practice, it seems that tuning the gaps is the best way of changing
>> the widths.
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> sysuse auto
>> catplot rep78
>> catplot rep78, var1opts(gap(0))
>> catplot rep78, var1opts(gap(2))
>>
>> In general, -catplot- is mainly a wrapper that calculates frequencies
>> or percents and then lets -graph- do almost all the work.
>>
>> I've not devoted much time to knowing my way around the scheme files.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Kaulisch, Marc
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Nick,
>>>
>>> A similar question to my previous one regarding ciplot (ssc). Everytime I call -catplot- (ssc) the labelsize is medsmall. My programming skills are zero but in the catplot.ado I cannot find a specification of labsize; so in contrast to my earlier question, I think I am able to control the labelsize in a scheme. But where?
>>>
>>> Another way around, would there be a possibility to align actual bar
>>> height/width with labelsize (in catplot)
>>> - Is barwidth working with catplot?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> Marc
>>>
>>> P.S.: @David Radwin: Thanks for pointing me to the "Visual Guide", but it is in the office and I am far away from it...

>>> [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick