Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design

Subject   Re: st: Regression Discontinuity Design
Date   Fri, 7 Oct 2011 07:55:09 -0400

Nyasha Tirivayi <[email protected]>
You do not have a good RD design, partly because you do not appear to
be confident of the existence of a discontinuity in treatment, but
mainly because you do not have adequate sample size.  6 communities
are hypothesized to lie on either side of the cutoff; if assumptions
are correct, communities close to the cutoff can be treated as being
randomly assigned treatment.  People in those communities can also be
treated as being randomly assigned treatment under the stronger
assumption that community is fixed and people do not change community.
 But you do not have 400 observations on the assignment variable with
which to construct a local linear regression of the effect of the
assignment variable on treatment; you have 6. The problem here is that
you will really want to cluster on community, but you cannot cluster
when you have 6 clusters (and when you cluster in the first stage, you
really only have 6 obs, not 400). Even 400 obs probably would not be
enough to identify any reasonably small effect using an RD method,
which needs a very large sample size to work well.  The first thing to
do in such cases, if you are not sure how much power you might have,
is to run a quick simulation. There are IV methods one might use,
perhaps based on distance to clinic, but you are not really explicit
about what your estimand is.  What are you trying to estimate?  What
is the outcome variable?