RE: st: interaction dummy or separate regression

From   "Khieu, Hinh" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: interaction dummy or separate regression
Date   Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:11:08 -0500

Austin,
Thanks again for your prompt help. Chg in Y is capital expenditures. I may need to run the model again on something else. That is why I put Y for generalization. I have several definitions of abnormal investment: 1/as in my original email, abnormal are those values that exceed 200% of industry averages for the past 3 years, 2/abnormal = residuals from a regression of a normal investment equation. As you can see, both measures are like Y = A minus B. And Y could be positive and negative. Only positive Y's are abnormal and the negative Y's are irrelevant for me. If stata code should be:
Xtreg Y debt equity if small firm==0, fe robust
The only way for me to get Y to be abnormal is either to drop the negative Y or to add the second condition in the If statement "& Y>0".
If I use the residual values from definition 2 of the measure, I don't know how appropriate it is for the following reason: residuals are forecast error and if something else in the second stage can explain the forecast error, it should be in the first stage too.  This logic leads me to use just Investment (which includes both normal and abnormal values) as dependent variable. Using it that way and including the dummy or separating the sample into two, according to you, would be problematic.
I wonder if you have any suggestions. I would appreciate them.
Thank you so much.
Hinh

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Austin Nichols [[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: interaction dummy or separate regression

Khieu, Hinh <[email protected]>L
I already ruled out option 2, as selection on the dependent variable
is not allowed. Option 1 is okay, but I would suggest you explore an
alternative link, as the explanatory variables likely have a very
nonlinear relationship with Y. Imagine the cube root of y is a linear
function of x, and you regress y on x, in which case extreme values of
y will seem to have a very different relationship with x. See the help
file for -glm- for starters.  You can also select on X, as I
mentioned, which may illuminate the appropriate link, if you can
construct a reasonable piecewise linear approximation. Better advice
may follow if you are more explicit about what you are modeling.  I.e.
what is Y, what is the data, etc.