st: Re: string functions quotation marks

From   "Eric Uslaner" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: string functions quotation marks
Date   Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:06:05 -0400

Greetings,

I have a dataset (obviously not my own) in which the names of countries are all in quotation marks.  I need to get rid of the quotation marks to merge this dataset with another.  However, the situation is somewhat complicated.  Country names may have one word (e.g., "Canada" or "Yemen"), two words ("North Korea" is one example), three words ("United States of America" or "Yemen Arab Republic"), or more ("Democratic Republic of the Congo").  Is there a way to get rid of these quotation marks?  I have read the manual and looked at help from within Stata and can't find a solution.

Thanks for any help,

Ric