Re: st: Get fitted values after locpoly (follow-up)

Subject   Re: st: Get fitted values after locpoly (follow-up)
Date   Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:40:04 -0400

Partho Sarkar <[email protected]> :
N.B. -lpoly- does produce an optimal bandwidth, defined in its
documentation, whereas -locpoly- (findit locpoly) uses an "entirely
inappropriate" default bandwidth, as it makes clear in its help file:

If width() is not specified,
then the "default" width is used; see [R] kdensity.
This default is entirely inappropriate for local polynomial smoothing.
        Roll your own.

Hence my quotes on "optimal" bandwidth below, which I realized needed
explanation.