RE: st: RE: xtscc and small samples (equal size T and N)

Subject   RE: st: RE: xtscc and small samples (equal size T and N)
Date   Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:23:34 +0100

Christina,

With respect to your last point, you might actually be OK here.

Stock & Watson show that the standard Eicker-Huber-White-robust VCV is biased with small-N large-T panels.  But if you check the paper (eqn 5), you'll see that the bias term has a 1/(T-1) in front of it.  In other words, the bias is decreasing in T.  In your case, T=11 may be enough for you to justify using the standard het-robust VCV.

There is an as-yet undocumented option in -xtivreg2-, sw, that implements the Stock-Watson correction to the standard het-robust VCV.  (It's still not documented because I haven't yet verified it against a published output or another package.)  If the sw option gives you SEs that are similar to the standard het-robust SEs, you've got grounds to believe that T is indeed large enough to justify using the latter.

HTH,
Mark

NB: If anyone can point me to an example of Stock-Watson SEs that I can try to replicate, I'd be most grateful.