Re: st: Regression Equation for Zero inflated negative binomial

From   Partho Sarkar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Regression Equation for Zero inflated negative binomial
Date   Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:15:26 +0530

Rachel

I notice you are not getting the points, so even though I have no
special experience with the ZINB model, let me try to explain a basic
point about this kind of regression.  Please excuse me if this is too
simplistic.

Here your y- variable is the "count" or number of times something of
interest happens in a unit of time.

You assume that the "probability" of this (i.e., y=y0 for any y0) is
given by the "negative binomial" probability distribution, which is
defined by a parameter lambda, which in turn is determined by some
characteristics of  the observations.  This is the left hand variable
you estimate in your regression:

lambda=a0+a1X1+etc.

This is why  you do not have any regression in the form y=b0+b1X1 etc,
and no one would expect you to produce such a regression!

For further clarification, I would suggest you look at these sources:

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~ce411/lectures/CountModels.ppt
http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~wgreene/Econometrics/PanelDataNotes-19.ppt
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/output/Stata_zinb.htm
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/dae/zinb.htm