Re: st: how can i make my loop run faster?

From   Partho Sarkar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how can i make my loop run faster?
Date   Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:36:09 +0530

Stefano

You don't seem to be actually making any use of the panel structure of
the data.  Stata has very neat built-in procedures for dealing with
such data.

Very briefly, 2 pointers (I am ignoring the special wrinkle in your
problem that you want to run 20 seoarate regressions for each "firm
i-period t" pair- you would have to adapt the procedure accordingly):

A.  I would use -tsfill, full- to fill in the time values and balance the panel.

B. If you use tsset panelvar datavar (or xtset), where panelvar is
your panel identifier, and datevar the date variable, you can use:

statsby _b _se, by(panelvar): regress y x

to do all the regressions in one go (assuming a single regression for
each "firm i-period t" pair), rather than separately within a long
loop.   You can collect the results saved in r-class macros, as with
_b & _se above.  See -help statsby-

Having said all that, I have never tried to run a set of regressions
with 30,000 firms & 200 time periods in a single run of a program!!!
I suspect this will be painfully slow no matter how efficient your
code. An obvious alternative would be to split the firms into, say, 10
subsets, do the regression for each subset, and put all the results
together.

Hope this helps

Partho Sarkar
Consultant Econometrician