Re: st: Clustered standard errors on the region * year level (-xtreg-)

Subject   Re: st: Clustered standard errors on the region * year level (-xtreg-)
Date   Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:01:27 -0400

Tobias Pfaff <[email protected]>:
Yes, you need to cluster on region to allow for arbitrary correlation
with region over time, not region_year, but you have too few regions
to expect the downward bias in the cluster-robust SE to be negligible.
 Collect more regions.  Or "GDP per capita" on a finer grid.  Or try
to model serial correlation within region, rather than adopt a robust
method which requires more clusters.  A sensible strategy is to try a
few plausible models and pick the one that gives the largest SEs,
since we (researchers) invariably underestimate variability of
estimates.