Re: st: Decomposition method for discrete-time event-history models?

Subject   Re: st: Decomposition method for discrete-time event-history models?
Date   Mon, 12 Sep 2011 06:08:08 -0400

Timo Kauppinen <[email protected]>:
I would guess not.  If you compute an average all periods at risk,
people appearing for different numbers of periods, with different
time-varying characteristics in each period, I'm not sure what
population quantity you want to estimate as the difference in averages
(marginal effects) to decompose.  I would think you could use the
first period at risk for each individual and use the generalizations
of Oaxaca (ssc desc oaxaca) on that one period, but that is not
exactly the same exercise as what you asked for.  If you want effects
on duration, I see a simulation in your future.

Maybe if you clarify what you mean by "a difference in the probability
of entry to home-ownership between two groups" you will get better
answers.  This is measuring the differences in X and in the coefs on X
for two groups to look for evidence of discrimination, e.g. in
black-white differences in homeownership?  You would also want to look
for evidence of other kinds of discrimination, e.g. in black-white
differences in predatory lending and subsequent default rates.