Re: st: Use extended functions outside of macro assignment?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Use extended functions outside of macro assignment?
Date   Wed, 7 Sep 2011 09:48:45 +0100

I don't think I am misunderstanding how Stata works here or even what
you wrote, but you need to take my two emails together.

Stata won't understand your syntax in the way you seem to want it to.
-if- as a condition is evaluated as true or false for each
observation. It thus selects observations and does not select
variables. In particular, something that is true regardless of which
observation is being considered selects all observations. A test on a
value label is one such example.

As I guess you know

 regexm("`: label (varname)'", "my_regex")

isn't legal even schematically as there needs to be at least another argument

 regexm("`: label (varname) #'", "my_regex")

You'd have to do that in some other way, say

decode varname, gen(svarname)
list if regexm(svarname, "my_regex")

or by looping over the possible value labels.

I don't know what is especially tedious about a two-step. The speed of
-ds- for example depends on the number of variables, not the size of
the dataset, and its memory imprint is not usually high.

I would be happy to discuss how to tackle other examples or other
solutions closer to what you really want when you can think of them.

Meanwhile, check out

SJ-4-4  dm0009  . . . . . . .  Stata tip 14: Using value labels in expressions
        Q4/04   SJ 4(4):488--489                                 (no commands)
        tips for using value labels in expressions

Nick