Re: st: binary indicator for differing subsets of variables [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: binary indicator for differing subsets of variables [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date   Wed, 7 Sep 2011 07:38:31 +0100

That's interestingly tricky. Here's one way to do it. Let's first
initialise a variable

gen myindicator = 0

Let's get the (string) suffixes 0806-0110 spelled out one by one to work with

unab LFS : LFS*
local LFS : subinstr local LFS "LFS" "", all

So we want to add in each LFS variable if and only if any of the
-date?- variables gives the corresponding date:

qui foreach v of local LFS {
     replace myindicator = myindicator + LFS`v' if  inlist("`v'",
date1, date2, date3, date4, date5, date6)
}

replace myindicator = myindicator == 6

You could try looping over the -date?- instead, but I think the above
should work.

See on the -inlist()- trick

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-04/msg00618.html

and more generally

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced

for a survey of working row-wise. The best single line of advice,
however, is to -reshape- panel data like yours to long, as most things
are easier that way.

Nick