RE: st: cnsreg with singular

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: cnsreg with singular
Date   Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:57:25 -0400

Hi Demetris,

I wonder if it would also be worthwhile to try some corrective procedures on the design matrix, and see how these compare to the built-in methods in cnsreg?
Yuan, K.-H., & Chan, W. (2008). Structural equation modeling with near singular covariance matrices. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 52(10), 4842-4858.

Yuan, K.H., Wu, R., & Bentler, P.M. (2010). Ridge structural equation modelling with correlation matrices for ordinal and continuous data. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 64(1), 107–133.

Bentler, P.M., & Yuan, K.-H. (2010). Positive Definiteness via Offdiagonal Scaling of a Symmetric Indefinite Matrix. Psychometrika, 76(1), 119-123. http://www.springerlink.com/content/k5154122171551l2/fulltext.pdf

Highham, N.J. (2002). Computing the nearest correlation matrix - a problem from finance. IMA Journal of Numerical Analysis, 22(3), 329–343.

Knol, D.L., & ten Berge, J.M.F. (1989). Least-squares approximation of an improper correlation matrix by a proper one. Psychometrika, 54, 53–61.

Are you using the model option "col" (keep collinear variables)? Sorry if I am off base given the substantive and methodological nature of your analysis (which I don't know).

Best,

Cam