st: Re: Mata maximum likelihood error on trivial regression

From   David Chan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Mata maximum likelihood error on trivial regression
Date   Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:58:17 -0400

Hi all,

I have discovered the solution, thanks to Jeffrey Pitblado:

The line

       sd=exp(b[|j|])

should be

       sd = exp(moptimize_util_xb(ML,b,2))

The function -moptimize_util_xb()- does some extra calculation that allows
-ml- (really it's -moptimize()-) to properly take numerical derivatives.
By explicitly pulling the value of 'b[|j|]', you are not getting that extra
calculation into you 'sd' variable.

Thanks,
Dave