Re: st: Bivariate probit model with partial observability and survey data

From   Eduardo Andrés Alfonso Sierra <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Bivariate probit model with partial observability and survey data
Date   Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:19:44 +0200

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion to use the noisily option of the svy. It
reveals that the model, when using svy, does not seem to converge.
Here's how the output looks like:

It starts Fitting comparison model and it finished after 339 iterations.
Then, in Fitting full model, it keeps on iterating, quite in the same
log likelihood value after 700 iterations and always showing backed
up.
Now, after more than 4 days running!, it keeps on going.

Exactly the same specification with the same data but without the svy,
converged after a couple of hours (although it seems quite a lot of
time, it sounds reasonable since the model has a lot of explanatory
variables -more than 20- and the dataset is not a small one -147,096
obs-). So, as Professor Kolenikov said, "With weights and such, the
computation may take even longer than with i.i.d. settings, although
it should be in the order of single to low double digit %, rather than
a factor of 2 or 3" ¹. In this case however, the computation time with
weights is taking so much longer (a factor of 48 and counting!!!).

I am aware of the poor convergence properties of this model, but I
really don´t get why the weights and adjustments for survey design
might change it so radically, so any idea on how to proceed would be
greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I have already followed the suggestion in Stata help,
which says that "This particular model commonly has poor convergence
properties, so we recommend that you use the difficult option if you
want to fit the Poirier partial observability model" ². I have tried
with the difficult option and the problem persists (without svy it
converges after a while, but with svy it is still iterating).

Furthermore, I found in Statalist that "Changes in Stata in version 11
have occasionally produced results like this" ³, referring to a case
in which a probit model converged in Stata 10 but not in Stata 11,
showing a similar iteration process as in my case ("after about five
iterations it says (backed up), and then it gets stuck on the same log
psuedolikelihood, forever it appears" ³). So I also tried running my
model in Stata 10 and once again, the biprobit without svy converges
after a while but using svy, it seems it does not.

Finally, Professor Kolenikov pointed out that in my original email I
forgot to provide the complete reference of the paper I cited. He is
right and I apologize for that. Here´s the reference.
Poirier, D. J. (1980). Partial observability in bivariate probit
models. Journal of Econometrics, 12(2), 209-217.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

Eduardo

¹ Reply from Professor Kolenikov to my original post. See previous
post in this thread.
² http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?biprobit, accessed 21-Aug-2011
³ http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-08/msg01331.html and
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-08/msg01273.html, accessed