st: ODBC load problems

From   James Morden <[email protected]>
Subject   st: ODBC load problems
Date   Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:47:49 +0100

Dear all,

We are having some difficulty loading a table from an Access file into Stata using ODBC and wondered if anyone might be able to help.

We have started to use Macro 4 to store our data. We can set up an ODBC connection to the SQL server 8 database we get from this and have no trouble loading all tables in the dataset into Stata using "odbc load". However w= e also wanted to take a snapshot of the data to store permanently so for this the data was copied from SQL server 8 into Access 2007.
We then tried to set up an odbc connection to this and load the tables into Stata. This all worked fine apart from  one fairly wide table (approx 150 variables) which would not load, and gave error message "r(1010) - system limit exceeded -- width shortage...." e.t.c Now the table is not that wide, and we have previously had no trouble loading in much wider tables with around 230 variables (and many more observations too). All the other tables in this database also still load fine, it seems strange that this one would load from SQL server but not from Access.

We have tried playing around with different version of Access but this does not seem to help. We have also checked all the variables in the Access database and they all look normal, nothing which would suggest there should=  be a problem loading this table.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before or have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
James

James Morden
ICR Clinical Trials and Statistics Unit (ICR-CTSU)

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.