Re: st: Penalized/shrinkage estimators for probi

Subject   Re: st: Penalized/shrinkage estimators for probi
Date   Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:42:35 -0400

-findit plogit- does not return anything by that name. It may have
been written and circulates in your organization, but for the rest of
Stata world, it is as good as non-existent. Since the coefficients in
limited dependent variable models are identified up to a scale (or at
least that's how econometricians view it, and I think it is best to
know of all potential pitfalls even if your discipline does not
believe in them), imposing lasso-type conditions on probit
coefficients may lead to strange and inconsistent results (although a
solid reference would certainly convince me otherwise :)).

Most of the time, the choice between logit and probit models is a
matter of personal preference (although in case of -mlogit- and
-mprobit-, there huge differences, of course).