Re: st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off

From   "Samuel R. Lucas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:35:38 -0700

To me this goes in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" pile.  I
really do not understand the rush of people from a technology that
works well to another that may not offer any new functionality.  Such
moves often resemble taking the circular tires off of a functioning
car and installing the new, flashy, faddish square tires.  Yay.  I
have square tires.

If there is some major advanced functionality that a new approach
offers, and it does not compromise the existing functionality, then no
problem.  Often, though, something of value is lost.

I like that I do not have to remember to go check a web-site.  Nor do
I get reminders to go visit the web-site in my normal course of work.
Nor am I interrupted by an RSS feed.  Stuff comes to me in the normal
course of my activities.  If I am away, what arrived in my absence is
still sitting there and I can read or ignore it if I want.  I can
easily forward a message to someone with whom I am working if it looks
useful to the group.  My interface is not encumbered by ads, pop-ups,
or other web-clutter.  I do not have to give permission to scripting
on the page to read anything.

I admit all this was better when I did not use a gmail account for the
listserv, but I was forced to do so for local reasons.

So, count me as a "No" on this issue.
Sam