Re: st: programming in stata - problems with optimize

From   Christophe Kolodziejczyk <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: programming in stata - problems with optimize
Date   Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:37:14 +0200

As Matthew points out your objective function seems to be ill-behaved.
It looks like you are trying to solve the normal equations but not
quite. Moreover the code of your objective function is not consistent
with the formula you give at the beginning of your post. Optimize
helps you finding the maximum or minimum of a function and is not
originally designed for finding the roots of an equation. However the
methods used to optimize functions, like Newton-Raphson are
root-finding methods. They find the roots of the gradient of the
objective function and this why Matthew proposes to optimize the
square of your function. You can also think of the GMM method where
the solution of the problem is solved by mimizing a quadratic form of
the moments. The problem with this method is that you have to find the
primitive of the equation you want to solve. Therefore a way to use
optimize as a root-finder is to specify the gradient, which will in
this case be equal to the equation you are trying to solve and use the
d1 evaluator. The solution will be the set of paramaters which
annulate the gradient.

I give here an example

I want to find mu such that Sum_{i} (x_i-mu) = 0 -> which solution I
know is the mean

clear *
set obs 1000

drawnorm x

sum x

mata:

x=st_data(.,"x")

void myf(todo,p, x, f,g,H)
{

f=0  // obejctive function is irrelevant in this case

    if (todo==1) {
        g=quadcolsum((x:-p))   // the equation I want to solve,
implicitly set equal to zero
        }

}

 S = optimize_init()
 optimize_init_evaluator(S, &myf())
 optimize_init_evaluatortype(S, "d1")
 optimize_init_params(S, (1))
 optimize_init_argument(S, 1, x)
 p=optimize(S)
end

sum  x // should be equal to p

Now let's say I want to solve for x the equation x^2-2x+1=0

Write then

void myf2(todo,p,f,g,H)
{

f=0

    if (todo==1) {
        g=p^2-2*p+1
		}

}

 S = optimize_init()
 optimize_init_evaluator(S, &myf2())
 optimize_init_evaluatortype(S, "d1")
 optimize_init_params(S, (1))

 p=optimize(S)

You will find that p=1.

You might also have a look at Benn Jann's root finder from his moremata package.
Christophe