st: practical problem of secondary data analysis

From   Gokhan Kaya <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: practical problem of secondary data analysis
Date   Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:14:17 +0300

Dear All,

I am working on the data source entitled  “The Dynamics of Social
Stratification, Socio-Economic Status and Social Mobility: Evidence
from Ankara/ Turkey.

As there is no large scale data on life course of the migrant in
Turkey, I am trying to work on this data consisting of variables
needed for research question.

To give very brief info, the data includes 1789 individuals between aged 24-65.

In order to do analysis about educational consequences of migration
process in the city, I selected cases who is migrant and who move to
the city before eighteen years old which is the last age of secondary
school in Turkey. And then data size reduced to 384 cases. I am
employing ordinal logistic regression for the causal relationship
between migration process during the school age and its influence on
later educational attainment in Ankara, Turkey.

The results of my analysis seemingly provide significant results, and
I am thinking that these findings now have capacity to contribute to
the existing debates in the field.

I’d like to publish research article based on this research, but I
have to answer my own methodological questions at first before facing
with additional questions of the editors

Sorry for the long background info, and my questions is below, if
anyone can answer my question or give suggestion, I‘d be deeply
appreciated.

As my data reduced from 1789 to 384 cases, I am concerning on whether
this makes my data not representative for the migrants who move during
the school-age in Ankara. Do you think I miss any other methodological
point that is relevant for the secondary data analysis? Do you also
think that there is alternative and better way of doing the similar
analysis to answer my research questions?

Bests,

Gökhan Kaya

PhD Student

Department of Sociology