Re: st: RE: Re: rolling standard deviation [was: ""]

Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: rolling standard deviation [was: ""]
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:57:54 -0400

florian et al.
Note that using the business calendar or redefining elapsed days in
another way and then estimating a SD on pooled data requires an
assumption about poolability.  If changes in the data-generating
process accrue daily (not just Mon-Fri) and exhibit positive serial
correlation, then changes over three days could well exhibit a much
higher SD than one-day changes, which might be a difference of
substantial import, depending on what you intend to do with the
estimated SD.  But you could check this in your data like so:

sysuse sp500, clear
g dow=dow(date)
tsset date
g dd=date-date[_n-1]
ta dow dd
levelsof dd, loc(ds)
g d=.
qui foreach d of loc ds {
 g d`d'=ln(close)-ln(L`d'.close)
 replace d=d`d' if dd==`d'
 }
su d1 if dd==1
su d3 if dd==3
su
g faked=_n
tsset faked
rolling, w(30) keep(date) clear nodots:su d
su sd

Note that the above calculates the SD for each day over the last 30
business days and you might want 126 business days to represent 6
calendar months, or 130 days; if you really wanted the last 6 calendar
months you would need to define more precisely how you want to measure
that (all business days back to the same number day in that past
month? what about Aug 31?).