RE: st: First stage F stats - xtivreg

Subject   RE: st: First stage F stats - xtivreg
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:33:44 +0100

Austin,

I think I see what is going on.

The root of the problem is the fixed effects incidental parameters problem.  If you use the classical VCE estimator, it needs a dof adjustment to account for the FEs.  If FEs are encompassed by clusters, then no dof adjustment is needed.  But if the panel units/FEs overlap over clusters, then some dof adjustment would be needed.  The problem is that, last I heard, no one had worked out what it should be:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-03/msg00353.html

The two-way cluster-robust VCE implemented by -xtivreg2- allows the cluster option if at least one of the two clusters encompasses the FEs.  This was just a pragmatic decision on my part when implementing it in -xtivreg2-; I don't know of a literature reference.

--Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.