Re: RE: st: Valid instrument test for exactly identified regression

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: Valid instrument test for exactly identified regression
Date   Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:41:56 +0000

Hi, thanks for the discussion.

I understand Hansen J cannot be used, since I have 1 IV for 1 endog.

However, even though more IVs are good, for now I need to show that my single IV is valid.  (I checked numerous published papers with exact id, but no one seems to bother showing their one IV is valid).
So I need to show that the IV doesn't corr with the u_it from 2nd stage.

I have done what Justina said, which to me made intuitive sense in checking if IV corr with u_it. The coefficient is not sig at 90%.

I then did the direct thing, by predicting the u_it (using steps from this board) and then pwcorr u_it and IV. The 2 are not correlated. I'm not an econometrician (obviously!), so was wondering if you all think these steps are problematic, now that there isn't a direct test I can do.

Thanks - Eric