st: RE: RE: retransformation of ln(Y) coefficient and CI in regression

From   "Steve Rothenberg" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: retransformation of ln(Y) coefficient and CI in regression
Date   Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:48:28 -0500

I had already posted my re-discovery of the -predictnl- options, suggested
by Martin Weiss, my search provoked by Nick Cox's suggestion to use the
options with -predict- after -glm ln(Y) i.factor, vce(robust)- estimation,
before I discovered Roger Newson's and Martin Buis's elegant treatments of
the problem, using the -eform- option for -regress-, listed below.

Thanks for the additional code, good folks, and for all the help.

Steve Rothenberg
*******************
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:31:46 +0100
From: Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: retransformation of ln(Y) coefficient and CI in regression

The -regress- command has an -eform- option, which gives the confidence
limits of geometric means and their ratios. This is described in Newson
(2003), and can be used together with -robust- to display
unequal-variance confidence limits.

And, if you want to plot the confidence limits against the factor
values, then you might like to use the -parmest-, -eclplot-, -fvregen-
and -descsave- packages, downloadable from SSC. As in:

tempfile df0
descsave factor, do(`"`df0'"', replace)
regress lnY ibn.factor, vce(robust) noconst eform(GM/Ratio)
parmest, norestore eform
fvregen, do(`"`df0'"')
eclplot estimate min* max* factor

In this example, we start by defining a temporary file whose macro name
is -df0-. We then use -descsave- (an extended version of -describe-
which can create output do-files) to write a do-file to that temporary
file, defining the variable attributes (storage type, format, variable
label and value label) of the variable -factor-. We then use -regress-,
with the -eform(GM)- option to specify confidence limits for geometric
means and/or their ratios, and the -noconst- option and the X-variable
list -ibn.factor- to specify that the parameters will be geometric means
instead of ratios.  We then use -parmest- to overwrite the existing
dataset in memory with an output dataset (or resultsset), with 1
observation per parameter and data on parameter names, estimates,
confidence limits and other parameter attributes. In this new output
dataset, we then use -fvregen- to regenerate the variable -factor- from
the parameter names. Finally, we use -eclplot- to produce a confidence
interval plot,  with the values of -factor- on the X-axis and the
estimates and unequal-variance confidence limits for the corresponding
geometric means on the Y-axis. More about all these packages can be
found in the on-line help for -parmest-, which contains many hypertext