Re: st: How to Define MDY Variable Given Separate Y and MD Variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to Define MDY Variable Given Separate Y and MD Variables
Date   Mon, 30 May 2011 10:30:57 +0100

I understand that holidays are different, but I don't understand what
you want precisely other than your first sentence. But getting a
single date variable follows from the principles explained in -help
dates_and_times-.

Your example cannot be literal, as Stata would not allow the variable
name -date-month- with an embedded hyphen. I will guess at an
underscore, that your -date_month- variable is string, and that your
-year-  variable is numeric, in which case try something like

gen date = date(day_month + string(year), "DMY")
format date %td_d_m_CY

What the data look like is secondary; use -describe- in such questions
to tell us what they are, especially if this is not enough advice.

Nick