Re: st: FW: Making changes to Forest plot to increase visibility of the plot

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: Making changes to Forest plot to increase visibility of the plot
Date   Sun, 29 May 2011 10:50:57 +0100

Not much is obvious from this as you have not indicated even what
command(s) you are using. If you try to plot a large number of studies
in a fixed space, then some problems with text legibility are all too
likely. Printing the graph on an entire sheet (e.g. A4 size, as you
appear to be based in the UK) or a  large sheet of paper is naturally
one way round this. If you are thinking of a thesis or report you are
writing, you are in charge. If you are preparing a slide for a talk,
your options are more limited, except possibly showing a single graph
of all the studies and then splitting them into groups.

Forest plots aside, the issues are illustrated by

sysuse auto, clear
graph dot (asis) mpg, over(make, sort(1))
graph dot (asis) mpg if foreign, over(make, sort(1))

The first graph has 74 distinct levels and is unreadable; the second
has 20 and is fine. Somewhere in between is a threshold between an
unacceptable and an acceptable display.

More positively, it is arguable that with a very large number of
studies, showing the identity of each may not be important for all
purposes. You can always include a table in a report with all the
details for look-up purposes.

Nick