RE: st: date conversion

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: date conversion
Date   Fri, 27 May 2011 10:57:25 +0100

Thanks for this. You can now

. format date %td

Alternatively, use any other congenial format.

Muhammad Anees

Thank Nick and Maarten!

Nick! I have silently read many of your posts and came to the same
conclusion that I should have read help files before taking times of
other experts but you know one misses things unintentionally as I did
in this very basic data manipulation. I am grateful to you always for
your constructive guidance adding always to my knowledge of using
Stata.

I did the following and came with the new date variable which is now a
numeric serries but having missing entries for the missing dates which
I can use equally as my day variable. The resultant and original dates
are now after changing the format of day variable in Excel which I
think can be done in Stata.

. generate date = date(day, "MDY")
. li day date in 1/10

     +---------------------------+
     |               day    date |
     |---------------------------|
  1. | December 31, 2010   18627 |
  2. | December 30, 2010   18626 |
  3. | December 29, 2010   18625 |
  4. | December 28, 2010   18624 |
  5. | December 27, 2010   18623 |
  6. | December 24, 2010   18620 |
  7. | December 23, 2010   18619 |
  8. | December 22, 2010   18618 |
  9. | December 21, 2010   18617 |
 10. | December 20, 2010   18616 |

I have the desired results in further analysis which became possible
after this conversion only. Thank you very much Nick and Maarten and
hope to have your guidance.