RE: st: Simplification of formula in logistic regression

From   "David Radwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Simplification of formula in logistic regression
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 11:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

This is true, and it raises the issue of false precision, which is also to
be avoided. An old joke illustrates the problem:

-------

A visitor to a natural history museum is looking at a fossilized dinosaur
skeleton. A guard nearby tells the visitor, "That dinosaur died 90,000,006
years ago."

"Really?" asks the visitor skeptically. "How did you arrive at that exact
number?"

"It's simple," replies the guard. "It died 90,000,000 years before I
started working here, and that was six years ago."

--------

David
--
David Radwin