Re: st: reshape WDI from wide to long format

From   Sami Alameen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reshape WDI from wide to long format
Date   Mon, 16 May 2011 21:46:07 +0300

I did everything in the Stata Tip, and it seemed to work until before
the end of the second reshape command.
The problem as I see it is the WB recoded some of the seriescode
according to the collecting method, that resulted in some
seriesname(s) having multiple seriescode(s). The result is Stata gives
me an error that:

seriescode not constant within countrycode year

If instead I reshaped with seriesname instead of seriescode, the error is:

seriesname not constant within countrycode year

So,
1. Do you suggest dropping either seriescode or seriesname and use the
other in the command, and that will complicate the following steps,
and I'm not sure if it's the right path to take
2. If I recode series name into a new variable, is Stata smart enought
to give multiple similar seriesname the same code; knowing that there
are multiple similar series names in one column (one for each
countries)

Best regards