Re: st: graphing ratio as a function of a continuous variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graphing ratio as a function of a continuous variable
Date   Fri, 22 Apr 2011 09:46:01 +0100

My interpretation is the same as Maarten's. The ratio 0/1 is not
interesting and the ratio 1/0 is not useful, so it seems more likely
that you are concerned with how the proportion of something varies.

I'll add that Maarten's -proprcspline- (SSC) is a really splendid
program for this purpose. If you want something more discrete, there
is a worked example in the help for -stripplot- (SSC) which shows how
a smooth summary can be superimposed on a strip plot of the indicator
variable.

Nick

Maarten buis

> From your describtion it looks like you have a proportion (which
> is ofcourse a special case of a ratio) but from your example it
> looks like you have a variable that only takes values 0 or 1
> which is typically not called a ratio but rather a indicator or
> dummy variable.
>
> If the former is true I would just show a scatter plot with
> your proportion on the y-axis and your continuous variable on
> the x-axis.
>
> If the latter is true I would add a smooth average to the plot,
> e.g. using Nick Cox's -rcspline- or my -proprcspline-. Both can
> be downloaded from SSC by typing -ssc install rcspline- and
> -ssc install proprcspline- respectively. Both commands allow the
> -addplot()- option for extra overlaid graphs.

Delahanty, Ryan