Re: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.

From   Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.
Date   Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:02:16 +0300

I am still playing around with the weights but no results so far. Yes,
I need to match exactly spss' results. Can someone show where to find
spss' procedures manual?Best regards.
Bachir.

2011/4/13, Kaulisch, Marc <[email protected]>:
> Uli,
>
> SPSS looks inconsistent here. A look in the tutorial gives a clear insight
> in the mess:
> "SPSS automatically rounds weighted
> frequencies to the nearest integer. This rounding is done by default on the
> total weighted frequency,
> not on individual weights." (p. 15)
> "Rounding off these decimals is not an indifferent matter. Both 0.80 and
> 1.45 will be rounded to 1,
> which kills the very purpose of weighting. Suppose the weight of some cases
> is 0.30. If one case
> with weight 0.30 appears in a cell, the weighted (and rounded) total will be
> zero cases in that cell.
> If a second cell includes two cases from the same stratum, their weighted
> total will be 0.60,
> rounded to one case." (p.16)
>
> And in some procedures like CROSSTAB (Stata tab) you can turn off rounding
> the weights ;-)
>
> Really strange this...
>
> Marc

Amadou B. DIALLO, PhD.

Economist (Anti-Poverty Programs - DR Congo), AFTP3, The World Bank,
Washington DC.

Director, Center for Research and Training on Adult Health and Education.
Mayotte (FRANCE). www.aprosasoma.org