AW: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.

From   "Kaulisch, Marc" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.
Date   Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:51:49 +0200

Uli,

SPSS looks inconsistent here. A look in the tutorial gives a clear insight in the mess:
"SPSS automatically rounds weighted
frequencies to the nearest integer. This rounding is done by default on the total weighted frequency,
not on individual weights." (p. 15)
"Rounding off these decimals is not an indifferent matter. Both 0.80 and 1.45 will be rounded to 1,
which kills the very purpose of weighting. Suppose the weight of some cases is 0.30. If one case
with weight 0.30 appears in a cell, the weighted (and rounded) total will be zero cases in that cell.
If a second cell includes two cases from the same stratum, their weighted total will be 0.60,
rounded to one case." (p.16)

And in some procedures like CROSSTAB (Stata tab) you can turn off rounding the weights ;-)

Really strange this...

Marc