RE: st: Using -estat bootstrap- with -parmby-

From   "Maclennan, Graeme S." <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Using -estat bootstrap- with -parmby-
Date   Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:05:04 +0100

Roger's advice gives me exactly what I want.
Thank you.
Graeme.

***********Roger said******
Graeme should probably use -parmest- instead of -parmby-, because
-parmby- is designed to call estimation commands, and -estat bootstrap- is not an estimation command. The -parmest- command extracts an output dataset (or resultsset) from the current set of estimation results in memory.

If Graeme wants to view the bias-corrected confidence interval using -parmest-, then the solution is to use the -erows()- option of -parmest-, which creates new variables in the -parmest- output dataset containing the rows of a matrix estimation result (such as the bootstrap confidence interval). Instead of the -parmby- command, Graeme should probably type

parmest, erow(ci_bca) rename(er_1_1 bcamin95 er_1_2 bcamax95) list(parm
  estimate min95 max95 bcamin95 bcamax95 p  ,clean noobs)

This -parmest- command  uses the -erows()- option to extract the rows of the matrix -e(ci_bca)- into 2 variables in the output dataset, whose names are -er_1_1- and -er_1_2-, containing, respectively, the lower and upper BCa confidence limits. These variables are renamed (using the
-rename()- option of -parmest-) to -bcamin95- and -bcamax95-, respectively, and are displayed using the -list()- option.

See the on-line help for -parmest- for more details. In particular, if you type

help parmest_resultssets

then you will see a list of all the variables that -parmest- can create in its output dataset.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Respiratory Epidemiology and Public Health Group National Heart and Lung Institute Imperial College London Royal Brompton Campus Room 33, Emmanuel Kaye Building 1B Manresa Road London SW3 6LR UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 3381
Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8322
Email: [email protected]
Departmental Web page: