Re: st: add up variable / quantile

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: add up variable / quantile
Date   Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:11:18 +0100

I don't follow what you are doing, but

In any dataset there are just as many observations for one variable as
another. "Observations" means rows, cases, records. Perhaps you mean
by "observations" something else, say  distinct values, non-missing
values, or whatever, but communication is not possible if you don't
explain what you mean so that we understand.

Also, _n - 1 was just an example to show that you can relate values to
those in other observations. It is not a spell to solve your problem,
which unfortunately I am still pretty vague about. It is not an
incantation. You are expected to read up about _n and subscripts to
understand what you are doing.

I think you need to find someone in your University who knows Stata
better, can sit with you, see your data and explain things step by
step.

Statalist unfortunately does not work well when the questioner does
not know quite what to ask precisely and the supposed expert does not
understand the data structure or the exact problem.

Nick