Re: st: problem with latest update?

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem with latest update?
Date   Wed, 6 Apr 2011 09:55:17 -0500

Dimitriy V. Masterov ([email protected]) asked why -update swap-
failed after he experienced the issue of a proxy server caching
an old version of the 'update' file for a Stata update:

> I am having the same caching problem as Paul. Unfortunately the last
> step of -update swap- suggested by Alan fails because the
> StataMP-64.bin was not found. Is this cause for concern? Stata did
> shut down and restart when I forced the update, and it looks like I
> have the most recent versions of the executable installed.
>
> Here's what I tried:
>
>  update query
> (contacting http://www.stata.com)
>
> Stata executable
>     folder:               C:\Program Files (x86)\Stata11\
>     name of file:         StataMP-64.exe
>     currently installed:  30 Mar 2011
>     latest available:     04 Nov 2010
>
> Ado-file updates
>     folder:               C:\Program Files (x86)\Stata11\ado\updates\
>     names of files:       (various)
>     currently installed:  30 Mar 2011
>     latest available:     30 Mar 2011
>
> Utilities updates
>     folder:               C:\Program Files (x86)\Stata11\utilities
>     names of files:       (various)
>     currently installed:  01 Sep 2010
>     latest available:     01 Sep 2010
>
> Recommendation
>     Do nothing; all files up to date.
>
> Click to edit automatic update checking preferences
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> . update swap
>
>     1.  Removing older backups
>
> File C:\Program Files (x86)\Stata11\StataMP-64.bin was not found, aborting swap.
> r(601);

Everything is ok.  Dimitry mentioned that Stata did shut down and
restart when he forced the update.  This was Stata automatically
performing an -update swap-.  Newer versions of Stata for Windows
do this automatically.  So, by the time Dimitry tried to -update swap-
by hand, Stata had already updated itself and thus there was not a
new executable to swap into place.

--Alan