Re: st: How do I get infant and child mortality rates from DHS data set using STATA

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How do I get infant and child mortality rates from DHS data set using STATA
Date   Sun, 27 Mar 2011 03:43:14 -0400

Ade

I've not done this, but it looks like you'll have to translate to Stata the SAS or SPSS programs found http://www.measuredhs.com/accesssurveys/dataset_faqs.cfm  under the question "Q. I am having trouble reproducing the mortality rates from the DHS report. How were they calculated?".  I'd start with the SPSS files, because I've found that SPSS and Stata are fairly similar in syntax. For help see http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/spss_command_to_stata.htm.

See also: http://www.measuredhs.com/help/Datasets/Infant_and_Child_Mortality.htm.

Another choice is to find a publication about DHS mortality that used Stata and to ask the authors for copies of their programs.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island