re: st: Question on a quasi-time series

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Question on a quasi-time series
Date   Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:43:32 -0700

It seems to me that time series analysis is not the appropriate approach
here. If there are only a couple of monthly observations available for each
year of data, I cannot imagine how the model will fit the missing 10 months
in any accurate way.

I would consider comparing only the observations for "like" months in each
year so that you are limiting the evaluation to data you actually have.
Similarly, you'd have a good rationale for limiting the analysis to only
those months of observation if indeed no other observations occur outside
the timeframe.

As to which statistical approaches to take, I think that perhaps a
difference-in-differences approach could be considered, or perhaps some type
of correlation approach (i.e., intra-class, controlling for within year
serial dependency)

Just some food for thought...

 Ariel

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:27:45 +0000
From: rachel grant <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Question on a quasi-time series

Hi
I have daily count data over a number of years totalling 317 cases.
However it's not a true time series because I have not got a full year for
each year, just a month or two.
The data are likely to be partially serially dependent within years but not
between years. So I am not sure how to correct for the possible serial
dependency.
What I have tried is ranking the data 1-317 and then using this ranking to
use the command "tsset". Will this work? Alternatively should I simply
increase my confidence level to p= 0.01 and not bother trying to correct for
the autocorrelation? Thanks!

- --
regards, Rachel Grant