Re: st: Variable names and labels for interaction terms

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Variable names and labels for interaction terms
Date   Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:16:47 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 23/3/11, Nic wrote:
> I've figured out how to create all my (continuous x
> continuous) interaction variables at once but I'm trying to
> learn how to (1) automatically create variable labels for
> them, and (2) name the new variables based on truncated
> versions of the component variables' names.

In the example below I used an extended macro function to
collect the variable label of a variable. You can read more
about extended macro functions by typing in Stata -help macro-
and follow the link to extended macro functions.

I also used the functions -min()- and -substr()-, and you
can read more about those in -help functions-.

*--------------------- begin example --------------------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear
foreach s of varlist s* {

	// collect variable label
	local labs : variable label `s'

	// names is the first three characters of s, unless
	// s consists of less than 3 characters
	local l = min(`:length local s', 3)
	local names = substr("`s'", 1, `l')

	foreach t of varlist t* {
		// same as above, but than for t
		local labt : variable label `t'
		local l = min(`:length local t', 3)
		local namet = substr("`t'", 1, `l')

		// create variable
		gen `names'X`namet' = `s'*`t'

		// attach variable labels
		label variable `names'X`namet' "`labs' X `labt'"
	}
}

// see the result
desc s* t*
*------------------------- end example --------------------------
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see:
http://www.maartenbuis.nl/example_faq )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis