Re: st: R: Stset-ing Multiple Failure/Multiple Spell Data : Moving in and out of risk set

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: R: Stset-ing Multiple Failure/Multiple Spell Data : Moving in and out of risk set
Date   Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:35:32 -0400

Kathleen,

You do lose the ability to set the cluster() option, but in non-survey -stcox-, the cluster() option changes only standard errors, not coefficients.  With survey data, standard errors are governed  by the survey design, so the cluster() option is irrelevant.  You still need the multiple-record data structure for multiple-failure models, but the  information and history for a single person must be contained in the covariates.

When you do the survey version of -stcox-, you also lose the ability to estimate frailty models (shared() option), and this option  *can* change coefficients.  However if your data set contained jackknife or bootstrap replicate weights, as yours, apparently, does not, you could estimate even these models,

Note that if analysis time "0" is the first year in self-employed status, then you can only analyze failures in the second and subsequent years.

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island