st: Re: Re: loop: how can I download CSV files and append it

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Re: loop: how can I download CSV files and append it
Date   Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:45:46 +0900

I wrote:

                                 . . . the program stores each website address
in its own local macro.  The series of local macros are named as numbers: 1, 2,
3, . . .

In Stata, local macros with numbers as their names are used to hold arguments to
do-file and other programs.  In order to avoid unintentionally overwriting an
argument to a program someday, it is probably a good practice to avoid naming
local macros as numbers.  Instead, you can give such local macro names a short
prefix, as shown in the revised illustration below.  Here they are named
website1, website2, . . ., and the loop index is named more conventionally as i.
The local macros' contents are retrieved in the second loop as `website'`i',
which is a little clearer to read, too.

Joseph Coveney

version 11.1

clear *
set more off

// Read-in your list of Web addresses
insheet using sites.txt, names clear

// Put each address into its own local macro `website1', `website2', . . .
local site_total `=_N'
forvalues i = 1/`site_total' {
    local website`i' = sites[`i']
}

// Load CSV files and append using a temporary file for storing
tempfile append
quietly forvalues i = `site_total'(-1)1 {
    insheet using "`website`i''", names comma clear
    if `i' == `site_total' {
        save "`append'"
    }
    else {
        append using "`append'"
        save "`append'", replace
    }
}

// Save the final result
outsheet using ap.csv, comma names quote
exit