RE: st: restricting margins to significant variables only

Subject   RE: st: restricting margins to significant variables only
Date   Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:59:53 -0500

At 11:41 AM 3/18/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
Either way, one over-arching point is that modifications to a model make nonsense of the classical idea of hypothesis testing and of what P-values mean.

Lots of us, and I include myself, view modelling as a highly iterative process guided by data, and indeed what else should it be?

Some of us, ditto, sit loose to P-values and don't take them very seriously. But those who want to select their models in the light of the data and then write them up keeping exactly the same view of P-values as if the model published is exactly the model first thought of are playing a rather strange game.

I agree, and one of the things that has always troubled me is the view that diagnostic tests (and resulting model modifications) are good while stepwise regression is bad. Either way, you are looking at the data first before coming up with the final model. That doesn't mean you don't do diagnostic tests but you should somehow take into account that the reported P-values for your final model are probably wrong. Further, researchers often run a bunch of models before reporting the "winners," and that can also cause the reported P-values to be highly deceptive.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam