st: Viewing variable labels and notes at the same time

From   Venable <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Viewing variable labels and notes at the same time
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:08:05 -0400

Dear Statalist,

Is it possible to view lists of variables that display both variable
labels and notes at the same time?

What I have in mind is something like the output one gets from
display, except including any variable notes in the same line as the
variable name, value label, variable label, etc. Currently, display
shows an asterisk indicating that a given variable has notes - I
suppose what I would like is for the actual note or notes to appear in
place of the asterisk.

For example:

sysuse auto
notes make: Test note 1 (make)
notes price: Test note 2 (price)
desc make price

yields

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
make            str18  %-18s                * Make and Model
price           int    %8.0gc               * Price

and what I would like to have is something like (with apologies for
the formatting-by-hand)

variable name    variable label   notes
make      Make and Model         Test note 1 (make)
price       Price                         Test note 2 (price)

The reason I ask (in case there's a better way to address the problem)
is that I use the variable label in tables and graphs, which requires
using a fairly short label, but I also want to have information about
the origin of a variable, which is better suited to a note.

Many thanks in advance.