st: RE: Re: insufficient observation in panel data/time values repeated within panel‏

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: insufficient observation in panel data/time values repeated within panel‏
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:36:21 +0000

Thanks for clarifying your description to some degree.

Deleting my previous comments and your initial posting makes this more difficult to understand. Please do not expect everyone to work as you do, using nabble.

My answer remains the same on major points. You do not describe the goal of your analysis or what you think is your generating process. I don't think it is useful to declare data like this as panels, if only for the reason you have identified. The imbalance in data like this is too extreme to give that any point.

As said, you have clusters. Quite how you define clusters depends on your ideas of what is happening, but the fact that houses can appear more than once is unsurprising but likely to be problematic too.

ajita

    My data set contain  sales price of a property (house) in a particular
county between the years of 1977 and 2007. The county is the same but there
are 11 different communities within that county. Within a community there
are more than one house that were sold in a particular year so when I use
community as my id I get the error message as "time values repeated within
panel".To me it looks like a unbalanced panel.

How should I treat this kind of dataset????

County  community  taxpin   saleyear  saleprice

Clarke       5160         8551    2002     ----
Clarke       5157        8221     2002      ----
Clarke      5157        8122      2001       ---
Clarke      5157         8233     2001

Basically, same county, different communities, different houses sold between
1977 and 2002. Some houses might be sold twice between 1977 and 2002.