Re: st: FW: Nonlinear probit model

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: FW: Nonlinear probit model
Date   Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:26:38 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 14/3/11, B Villena wrote:
> I have a non linear probit model that looks like this
>
> y_i = F( ( a0 + a1*X1_i + a_2*X2_i)*( b_1*Z1_i +
> b_2*Z2_i))
>
> where y_i is a binary dependent variable, and F(.) as
> normal CDF.

That specification is almost certainly wrong. This is
similar to an interaction model (the difference is that
you want to include a proportionality constraint). In
your specification you are leaving out the main effects
of X1 and X2. There are extremely rare circumstances
where leaving out the main effects can be justified,
but they are so rare that the likelihood that this
applies to your situation is de facto zero, unless you
have thought about this very carefully and delibaretly
left the main effects out.

Anyhow, I have sent an update of the -propcnsreg- package
to Kit that will estimate a correct version of the
model you want to estimate. Actually it fits a logit
instead of a probit, but I would consider that an
improvement too ;-). As soon as Kit updated the package
I will announce it on the list.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis