st: RE: Question on controlling for associated observations

From   Jan Bryla <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Question on controlling for associated observations
Date   Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:57:17 +0100

Dear Elena

If I understand you correctly you still need to identify which two counties should have common fixed-effects. Once this is done (which you could still do the way I described in the previous post), I assume you could do the following:

- generate dummy variables for each pair and then perform fixed-effects using LSDV (xi: reg Y X1... Xk i.pair)
- generate a group variable for the chosen pair, then xtsetting 'group' time and performing -xtreg, re-

Thus, I guess you are right in that this should reduce the number of parameters (unless you are using LSDV with a large N and small t)

Let me know if this comes closer to solving your problem.

Best,
Jan

Jan Bryla
The Danish Bankers Association