RE: st: svy bootstrap

From   "Michael Palmer" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: svy bootstrap
Date   Mon, 7 Mar 2011 18:24:12 +1100

Thank you for your response. Your explanation makes sense and I'll be sure to cite your paper. But I'm not exactly sure how I might rewrite the program so that it accepts pw. Do you happen to have any example programs that you could send me or better yet offer any advice on how to rewrite my program?

Best regards,

Michael Palmer
PhD Candidate
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
The Australian National University
Ph. 6125 0538
M. 0437 867 940

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Monday, 7 March 2011 3:24 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: svy bootstrap

The command -mean- had difficulties understanding what the variable name was. It was expecting a variable name, but -r(prod2)- was not a variable. Of course it is not a factor variable or a time series lagged variable, but that's the best error message Stata could send to you, given that nobody would put anything but variable names after -mean-.

To make your program work with -bs4rw- or -svy, vce(bootstrap)-, you need to rewrite it so that it accepts [pw] or [iw] and runs all estimation commands with those weights... and produces something reasonable in the end. Then you can run -bs4rw (prod2 = r(prod2) ), rw( bsw* ) : twopart [pw=original weight]- to obtain your bootstrap standard errors. (I would not trust 50 replicates that much, and it should be pretty easy to increase this number; it does not look like you have any extraordinary difficult computations within your
program.)

I see that you found my -bsweights- command useful, and I hope you will cite my SJ paper documenting this command.