Re: st: one data management question

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: one data management question
Date   Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:34:33 +0000

I just needed to see enough real data to be clearer on the rules.

Your example only makes sense to me if your one variable is string.

Run this example to see some technique. Insert lots of -list- or
-edit- commands so that you can see what each step does.

clear
input str5 var
      areaA
          1
        hot
          3
          4
          2
       cold
          4
      areaB
        1
         warm
         6
         2
     rainy
        42
end
gen area = var if substr(var,1,4) == "area"
replace area = area[_n-1] if missing(area)
drop if var == area
gen weather = var if missing(real(var))
gen id = real(var) if !missing(weather[_n+1])
replace weather = weather[_n-1] if missing(id) & missing(weather)
replace id = id[_n-1] if missing(id)
drop if missing(weather)
drop if missing(real(var))
sort area id, stable
by area id : gen j = _n
reshape wide var , i(area id) j(j)
destring var*, replace

2011/3/6 Grace Jessie <[email protected]>:

> Nick, thanks for reminder.
> Indeed, I entered one data just to show my problem. My real data is large, so impossible to show to you.
> It is added that the observation value "area?" of var is characteristic with four characters "area" and that only the indicative string to distinguish each portfolio "hot cold warm rainy" contains alphabetic characters in each portfolio.
> That is all.

Nick Cox