st: RE: Endogenous interaction terms in 2SLS

From   "Wooldridge, Jeffrey" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Endogenous interaction terms in 2SLS
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 07:21:04 -0500

Let me modestly (:-)) suggest the solution in Chapter 20 of 2e of my MIT Press book. It takes advantage of the binary nature of Y1 but is fully robust to the probit model being misspecified.

1. Estimate a reduced form probit for Y1 using ALL exogenous variables. Get the fitted probabilities, say phat.

2. Construct instruments (NOT regressors!) phat*X1, phat*X1*X2

3. Estimate the equation

Y2 = b0+ b1*Y1 +b2* Y1*X1 + b3*Y1*X1*X2

Using IVs phat, phat*X1, phat*X1*X2.

No need to adjust the standard errors asymptotically, but you can bootstrap if you have a smaller sample.

One comment: Many get nervous -- me included -- when variables that show up as interactions do not show up in level form. How come X1 and X2 don't appear by themselves (and act as their own IVs)? Leaving the level terms out can result in the interactions being spuriously significant.

JW