Re: st: endogenous interaction term

From   "Kyle K. Hood" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: endogenous interaction term
Date   Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:45:30 -0400

If you have X1 endogenous and an exogenous instrument Z which is correlated with X1, and your model includes two terms involving X1, X1 and X1*X2, then you should use two instruments: Z, and Z*X2. This may be what Mark or you were suggesting, and I believe this is a standard approach. Here, Z and Z*X2 are different (not perfectly collinear), are correlated with X1 and X1*X2, and are exogenous.

Kyle

Gordon Gordon wrote:
Thanks again Mark! I think that is the way to go. In theory it is correct, although I have not found much literature on it.

Gordon

----- Original Message ----
From: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:28:55 PM
Subject: RE: st: endogenous interaction term

Gordon,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Gordon Gordon
Sent: 22 October 2008 17:46
To: [email protected]

Thanks Mark for the reference links! They are very helpful.

My problem is that in the equation I am interested in, the endogenous binary variable X1 also interacts with another variable X2, and I am trying to correct the endogeneity of the interaction term. One solution is to have the instrument of X1 interacting with X2 as additional instruments, and then apply a standard ivreg2 approach. However I haven't been able to find much literature on this issue.

I don't think that will work.  If X1 is endogenous, then an interaction
with X1 will probably be endogenous too - you'd need to work hard to
convince a skeptic otherwise.

You should probably be thinking instead about instruments for X1 and
(X1*X2), i.e., you need at least two instruments.  Interactions of
instruments might be appropriate, but it depends completely on your
particular application.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
http://ideas.repec.org/e/psc51.html

Could you shed light?
Thanks,

Gordon